Hello and Welcome!

Hello and welcome! I'm Dzianis, a licensed radio ham holding the callsign DD1LD. I love to take this hobby with me wherever I may roam. The blog "QTC de DD1LD" means "Messages From Me" and reflects my ham radio activities and projects. I barely have time to write everything down, so I blog occasionally, and mainly, for myself. You can subscribe to the blog below to receive updates when new posts are available. 73 and enjoy reading!

Featured post

GoGreen XOTA

GoGreen XOTA? What on earth does it mean? There are thousands of ham radio operating awards available, some of them offer a great way to...

Saturday, August 24, 2024

Scandic Tour 2024 - Part III

2024-08-17. LA/AA-118, Lauvåsknuten, 617m,  2 points.  It was the first activation of this mountain. I started in Tveit and followed the path up to Svartetjønn. The rest of the hike, which I liked the most, was pathless. An experienced hiker will find his way to the top 😉. To give you a direction: you have to cross the saddle between Skjebbettjørn and Orretjønn. What a beautiful and secluded area there! 


View from the summit. There is a small water source at the very top.


View from the summit. 

 Once I got to the top, I had to wait a moment until a short shower had passed. I found a nice, sheltered spot near the summit and was able to get 26 QSOs on 17/20/30 m despite very poor propagation and deep QSB. The weather was stable with some short, very localized rain showers and gusts of wind. I definitely enjoyed the hike and the surroundings more today than operating the radio.


Operating QRP from LA/AA-118, Lauvåsknuten. There is a small cairn on the top. 

2024-08-19. LA/RL-089, Hustveitsåta, 1187m, 4 points. It was a micro adventure through all vegetation layers from 0m ASL to 1187m. It was quite a strenuous hike, the route length was 20 km with too much water, wetness, mud, swamp, wet stones. My feet were completely wet when I reached the summit. I had to take my shoes off twice to cross an ice-cold stream on foot. At the top it was cold and very windy, I put on all the clothes. However, the unpredictable and capricious weather in western Norway was kind to us and meant that we didn't have any rain for quite a while.
 
The propagation was awful, with a lot of QSB. However, it was more than enough for a successful activation - 23 QSOs on 20m in 30 minutes standing behind the stone wall. I haven't tried the other bands, a few QSOs more or less wouldn't have made any difference. Instead, I decided to take a little more time to enjoy and absorb the beauty of the nature.  

I tried to do everything at high speed, since, unfortunately, I started the hike a little late to wait out the morning rain. The neighboring summit Vardanuten, LA/RL-149 would have been possible to hike and activate, but would have taken at least another three hours and I didn't have time because I had to pick up my family in Sauda. Overall, I was very satisfied with the tour. I just like being in fjells, unfortunately it happens too rarely.


On the way to the summit. 


My operating spot on  LA/RL-089, Hustveitsåta. The stone tower protected us from the wind.





View from the summit. 

2024-08-21. LA/RL-126, Tinden, 1564m, 6 points. Probably, it was the most beautiful SOTA tour so far. I was so happy to be able to enjoy the absolute solitude and endless beauty of the Norwegian fjells and mountains for a long while. This tour will remain in my memory for a long time. 

The trail starts at the Bauta (Memorial) Knut Vesthassel and is partially marked. The hike is long but technically easy. However, you need to have very good orientation skills in pathless terrain. The weather was stable without rain. On the way down we were suddenly surprised by the fog, which caused us to lose our way twice. But it wasn't too bad 😏. As soon as we descended below the fog line, we found our way home.

The temperature was slightly above 0°C, so that I didn't have any problems with cold fingers while keying in CW. So I stayed on the summit a little longer than usual. The propagation was poor, like all those days. Nevertheless, 38 QSOs were logged on 17/20m in 45 minutes of operating time with some DX to NA on 17m.

Another six-pointer, LA/RL-128 was very close, but due to family commitments I did not have time for it. And besides, because of the fog in the rough terrain, I wasn't sure. 

For me, there is nothing more beautiful in Norway than hiking through the fells.


On the way to the summit.


In the pathless terrain.


Arrived at LA/RL-126, Tinden, 1564m.


Operating QRP from LA/RL-126, Tinden, 1564m.




View from the summit.


The fog is coming... 



On the way down. 

Tnx all chasers es 73 de Dzianis, LA/DD1LD

No comments: