Hello and Welcome!

Hello and welcome! I'm Dzianis, a licensed radio ham holding the callsign DD1LD. I love to take this hobby with me wherever I may roam. The blog "QTC de DD1LD" means "Messages From Me" and reflects my ham radio activities and projects. I barely have time to write everything down, so I blog occasionally, and mainly, for myself. You can subscribe to the blog below to receive updates when new posts are available. 73 and enjoy reading!

Featured post

GoGreen XOTA

GoGreen XOTA? What on earth does it mean? There are thousands of ham radio operating awards available, some of them offer a great way to...

Monday, November 12, 2007

RTTY WAEDC 2007

A quite muddy, windy and ugly weekend! On Saturday - all day snowing and on Sunday - all day raining. It seemed to be a right weather for contesting, and that is what we did, indeed. I caught cold on Saturday but not too much, that on Sunday I felt better.

We had quite a huge team gathered: DG7RO and DO5ALX, DL6RAI and DL2MLU, DJ4MZ, and myself DD1LD, and DL2YL and DL5NDX on Sunday. Alex, DO5ALX, just got her license one week ago but she was doing great! On Saturday I had pleasure to join a great run to USA, and on Sunday I was logging dozens of Japanese on 20 meters. On Sunday at noon I went back to Munich quite tired. The claimed score is

Call: DG7RO, MS, AB, HP
Socre: QSO – 1329, Multi – 819, QTC - 1184
Total score: 2 056 509

I guess we are in the TOP 5 Europe!!!

In the late evening I was able to “funk” again for a short time. Actually, I wanted to configure Wintest for RTTY contesting at home (I was using N1MM before). I had some software problems with Wintest, it took some time to manage all that stuff with port and MTTY configurations, and, finally, DD1LD went on air.

I almost worked every DX station on 40m I could hear. My TRX showed S8-S9 noise level because of a static charge on the wire antenna due to the rain. And, of course, I supported DG7RO again giving them one additional point. Every QSO is worth!

The most exciting procedure in RTTY WAEDC is the QTC exchange, otherwise, this contest would be boring very fast (at least for me :-). It is worth asking for QTC even with a small serial number. Many stations may have thought, if one has a small serial number, he does not have any bloody idea about the QTC exchange at all. The first station was quite surprised as I asked it for receiving my QTC with my first 9 QSO. Some stations had no QTC but were ready to receive ones, and vice versa. Sometimes you happen to ask insistently about one more time like:

DD1LD: ANY QTC FOR ME? ANY QTC FOR ME?
JAxXX: NO NO QTC SORRY
DD1LD: QSL WANT U QTC? WANT U QTC?
JAxXX: (no answer)
DD1LD: JAxXX QSL WANT U QTC? WANT U QTC?
JAxXX: (after a short delay): OK QRV QRV

After I got rid of all my QTC I stopped and went to bed with "steep" 5K poits :-)

Call: DD1LD - SO, SB 40m, LP
Score: QSO – 27, MULTI – 48, QTC – 76
Total score: 4 944

Looking back to DG7RO results, I would like to have seen at least 50% more QTC what is important from tactical and/or strategic point of view.

73 de Dzianis, DD1LD

P.S. See you in CQ WW CW in two weeks.

No comments: