Hello and Welcome!

Hello and welcome! I'm Dzianis, a licensed radio ham holding the callsign DD1LD. I love to take this hobby with me wherever I may roam. The blog "QTC de DD1LD" means "Messages From Me" and reflects my ham radio activities and projects. I barely have time to write everything down, so I blog occasionally, and mainly, for myself. You can subscribe to the blog below to receive updates when new posts are available. 73 and enjoy reading!

Featured post

GoGreen XOTA

GoGreen XOTA? What on earth does it mean? There are thousands of ham radio operating awards available, some of them offer a great way to...

Sunday, April 26, 2020

Rosskopf, DL/KW-045 in Karwendel, DLFF-0173

I wanted to test my alternative light QRP station I optimized for WWFF activities and compare it with my ultra-light high alpine QRP equipment. I'll just call it WWFF QRP which includes:
  • HB1B TRX
  • 3s LiPo 2200mAh battery
  • Trapped EFHW 20/30/40m
  • 10m long mast + guying kit
I can easily transport the WWFF QRP by bike and also carry it for some SOTA activations of low and flat mountains.  I don't think I want to use the WWFF QRP for high alpine activations, it's just too heavy and bulky.

One of my activations of the Zengermoos, DLFF-0383 by bike together with Kirian. 
The WWFF QRP fits in a bike side pocket.

Sunday, April 26th, 2020. Kirian wanted to accompany me, so that I had to pick-up an appropriate summit. My choice fell on the two-pointer Rosskopf (1131m), DL/KW-045 in Karwendel, DLFF-0173 with 350m in altitude to be gained if starting from the Sylvensteinspeicher.  "Is uncle Andy going to join us?", Kirian asked. "We could at least ask him and see", I answered. I gave a ring to Andy, DL2DVE and explained him our plan created a couple of minutes ago. With pleasure and big smile we heard his decision about it, "Sure, a good idea. See you there on the top!"

The hike was smooth and easy, and there was nothing much to mention about. We met a couple of walkers and bikers around the parking spot, however, they had no interest in the Rosskopf. We were alone there!

 
On the way to the Rosskopf (1131m), DL/KW-045.
View to the Sylvensteinsee and Niederskopf (1289m), DL/BE-092.

The summit has a large meadow area on the top with plenty of space for erecting aerials.  We made ourselves comfortable for the next three hours. After a short light lunch our interests divided - Kirian watched cartoons and I keyed CW. 

Operating spot on the Rosskopf (1131m), DL/KW-045 in Karwendel, DLFF-0173.

I got spotted on 40m at just before 11:00 UTC and had a nice run. In about half an hour later Andy arrived at the top. He greeted us from a distance and started installing his portable SOTA station ~100m north of us.  We were operating on different bands almost without interference, it worked very well.  Andy made 18 QSOs in ~45min and QRTed at 13:00 UTC. We had a short chat, shared beer and snacks, said goodbye to each other, and Andy went down to the parking spot, whereas I did the last run on 30m to complete two WWFF activator points by 88 QSO.  Finally, I gathered 90 CW QSO and two WWFF activator points in 3 hours and QRTed at 14:00 UTC. 

The trapped EFHW antenna worked well. 38 different RBN skimmers picked-up my CQing. Four of them in NA. The propagation was poor with strong QSB, only two NA stations and nothing from Russia were logged on 20m. The QSO/hour yield was but exciting, however, this was not the main objective for today.

 
 View over the Sylvensteinsee. The sky became cloudy upon departure. 
Kirian and me as well as Andy enjoyed this spontaneous Sunday's afternoon activity very much!

Mni tnx to all chasers fer QSO!
73 es 44 de Dzianis, DD1LD/P

No comments: