Hello and Welcome!

Hello and welcome! I'm Dzianis, a licensed radio ham holding the callsign DD1LD. I love to take this hobby with me wherever I may roam. The blog "QTC de DD1LD" means "Messages From Me" and reflects my ham radio activities and projects. I barely have time to write everything down, so I blog occasionally, and mainly, for myself. You can subscribe to the blog below to receive updates when new posts are available. 73 and enjoy reading!

Featured post

GoGreen XOTA

GoGreen XOTA? What on earth does it mean? There are thousands of ham radio operating awards available, some of them offer a great way to...

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Alpspitze & Hochblassen activated

The via-ferrata to the Alpspitze, DL/WS-022 had been on my list for a long time. Recently I bought a new Salewa set I was keen to try out as soon as possible. I was just waiting for a sunny and stable weather to climb the Alpspitze, and the perfect weather came on Sunday, July 26, 2009.

Stefan, Dzianis, Maria and instructor Leo after climbing

We completed a short training with the DAV Summit Club one day before, on Saturday, July 25. Maria climbed her first via ferrata like someone who climbed dozens of them. She enjoyed the training very much and I hope she would like to accompany me next time.

Next morning I packet my VHF/UHF Kennwood Handy together with the set and a lunch box in the rucksack and started driving towards Garmisch Partenkirchen...

There were a few people as I arrived at the summit at 9:40 a.m. but just one hour later the top was mercilessly overcrowded.

Dzianis, DD1LD on the Alpspitze (DL/WS-022), 2629m high, with the Zugspitze in the background

Six QSO (and even S2S one with OE5PEN/p) on 2 meters in FM came in my log and I went on to scale the Hochblassen (DL/WS-020) and to try climbing the Jubiläumsgrat. I was enjoying the great weather and fantastic views all way long.

Just arrived at the Alpspitze in the morning

The weather could not have been better

The Hochblassen (on the left) waiting for its first activation,
the Jubiläumsgrat (on the right) is a very imposant, long and exposed ridge

Are there ants on the stone? No, these are climbers overcrowded the summit!

The Hochblassen is a very hard nut to crack und requires extremely good alpine experience. I found the entrance to the Jubiläumsgrat at the third attempt. Frankly speaking I was operating just under 2700m close to the summit like the alpine SOTA rules allowed as I meet a couple of tough climbers finishing their “stroll” along the Jubiläumsgrat and talk to them for a while. I will try the crossing next year... hopefully not alone. The activation succeeded by 6 QSOs on 2m FM.

I chose the way back through the Grießkar avoiding hordes of "tourists" flooding the Höllental

Only "nonSOTA" mountain goats bore my company

I decided to descend via the Grießkar to avoid hordes of climbers flooding the Höllental and eventually pick up the Kreuzjoch (DL/WS-037) on my way back. It was a long lonesome walk through the impressive kar and via Bernadeinsteig passing the idyllic Stuibensee. Last six FM QSOs came in log on 2m as I made the side trip to the Kreuzeck.

The Stuibensee at 1921m altitude

The scenic Wetterstein (actually I was over there, too)

It was an excellent day culminating in 18 relaxed QSOs!


No comments: